Thursday, May 21, 2009

Effective Presentations


Sorry for the lack of posting, but the other day, while changing the light bulb in the bathroom, I fell and hit my head on the toilet. However, when I came to I had a vision. A vision of how one might construct the ideal order for a final presentation for a customer sales pitch of a combat sytem. Allow me to relay it here because in any other venue people would most assuredly not care at all.

First, I think if I were standing on the stage the audience would want to know who I was, so I'd start off by telling them about my company and any past performance that related to our offering. In my dream I was surrounded by a team of equally talented players, but for some reason they each looked like a member of the 7 dwarves. Nevertheless, that team deserved an org chart, so I'd show that information knowing that soon the audience would want me to get to the technical solution.

I would then tell them about the conops and the system. Of course, systems don't just appear out of nowhere, so I'd elaborate with my systems engineering approach. In my dream it looked like a figure-8-mobius-stripped-v-chart that spiraled back such that the design phase intersected at a point of singularity from which the space-time continuum erupted. Your results may vary.

Then I would elaborate on the systems engineering approach. I'm a bit hazy on that part, and when I asked one of my dwarves what parts of the system engineering process I should present he replied, "How hard did you hit your head? You've been doing this for the past 6 weeks at the cost of health, wealth, and friendships. If it isn't glaringly apparent which are the key aspects of your design by now, and how to organize it, then I'll eat my own floppy hat."

I hope he chokes on his hat.

Then a string of subsystem visions passed through dripping with key features and benifits along with design decisions that solidified our design as the only viable solution.

Of course, the likelihood of a combat system just coming together is about as likely as a proposal coming together when the predominant answer to a question is, "design decision." However, miracles do happen, and in this case the "miracle" is the program management approach. So my vision concluding with a hefty does of management processes, risks, schedule and cost.

Finally, just as the proposal summary slide (in the form of a tasteful quad chart) faded from view I awoke and went to Gaetanos. It's amazing the bad decisions one will make in the wake of a concussion.

No comments: